Basic Home Features:
- Do you prefer a single family detached home, townhome, condominium, or other type of property?
- Desired number of bedrooms and baths
- Preferences regarding kitchen, dining, family rooms, etc. and preferred home layout
- High-priority home features, such as kitchen appliances, fireplace, etc.
- Other types of rooms needed (eg. a home office or a hobby space)
- Storage spaces (closets, basement, an outdoor shed, etc.)
- Need for a garage or parking space, and if so, for how many cars?
Other Home Preferences:
- Ranch, two storey, split level, etc.
- Age and style of home (Victorian, bungalow, modern, etc.)
- How important is energy efficiency or other green home features?
- Commuting considerations (to work, shopping, etc.)
- Proximity to desirable features (such as a community centre, exercise facility, school, hospital, etc.)
- Views - how important is it to find your ideal view (overlooking a park, for example) or avoiding a bad one (a busy highway)?
- Size and shape, including back, front and side yards
- Landscaping considerations - the need for open play areas, privacy, patio space, decking, etc.
- Home orientation - is it important for your home to face a particular direction?
Life at Home:
- If you'll be sharing your home with children, pets, live-in parents or others, how does this impact your housing preferences? Both now, and in the future? (For example, pets may require a fenced-in yard; older parents may dictate one-floor living.)
- Proximity to neighbours
- Condo fees
- Property taxes
- Utilities and insurance
- How much do you want to invest in a home beyond the purchase price, either financially or in terms of sweat equity, if you can't find exactly what you want?
- Are you willing to consider other neighbourhoods that provide better affordability?
- How long do you plan to live in this home? How does this impact the type of home you will buy, how much you'll spend, and your choice of location?